Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Do What Makes You Oh-So Happy (Not)


I came across this cute little sign last week while I was browsing the decorations aisle at Target (you know, because I go down that aisle every time I go to Target...). The sign says, "do what makes you oh-so happy". And as soon as I saw it, I immediately got defensive and thought, "That's not true! Life is not about doing what makes us happy!"

Even God did and does things that don't necessarily make Him happy.... sending Jesus to die on the cross comes to mind. God sent Jesus (and He went willingly) to the cross but it was not with happiness over His painful death. It was with deep sorrow that He had to do this to save His creation in the first place. Also, I think about the consequences the Lord bestows upon humans because of sin. I don't believe He punishes us with happiness but instead with sadness over our disobedience, just as I don't discipline my children with joy but with grief over the choices they've made. God does things that are just and right, not necessarily things that always make Him (or us) happy.

You see, life isn't really about happiness at all. Sure there will be plenty of happy times! God has given us {SO MANY THINGS} to bring us JOY in this life!!! And because we are children of God, I believe our Father desires happiness for us just as you and I do for our children. But the Bible surely doesn't teach Christians to do whatever makes them happy. There are many things I can think of that would be fun and would make me super happy but I know, without a doubt, would be against the Word of God. When we live our lives trying to do whatever it takes to make us "oh-so happy" we often end up oh-so miserable in a life of sin. Chasing worldly happiness eventually comes up empty. Because only living a life in obedience to Christ can bring deep, everlasting joy and happiness.

I'd rather do what honors the Lord in the long run than what make me oh-so happy in the moment. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...